Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Here we started out transferring our sketches to 3D – using simple blocks/primitives to set the stage…couldn’t help myself had to put a single light in the scene – since it was quite important in my original design. Then on the very last day Anna suggested (?) that I should try using a higher camera angel – so I started playing around with that and ended up with….actually this was a layout I had already tried out the first week but discarded – since I didn’t feel that the image would read easily, with the noose/hanging all that was going on….but ultimately I ended up using this new layout – it just works out better this way.
(Later on I decided to give my character a full pardon….but more about that later….)
Concept design with Chris Turnham and Kevin Dart
This week we started out on our seven week end-of-semester project – the target of finishing one rendered still image. The headline was “circusFreaks” and we were given a style guide (the style guide given to us was “vinyl-toys”) this was the framework where in we had to keep…I started working out a story for my character. The first thought I had about Circus freaks was that there is a certain sad quality to it. I thought about Pinocchio and how he was being used by (mean guy) so I decided that my character should have had it. It should all be to mucj for him – so he was going to end it – by committing suicide. Next I focused on the character itself, went for a classic – the elephant man – although my character ended up being more elephant than man, and probably the cutest elephant man ever….but still a circus freak.